Dear Members and Athletes,
The Wrestling Australia HP Committee Members with State representatives along with the National Coaches have developed a new and adjusted process for nomination to the Oceania Championships of which also forms part of Commonwealth Games Qualification. The process and plan has been submitted for legal approval as a formality and will be finalised next week.
In the meantime we would like you to continue with your preparations therefore have listed a summary of the key events or items for the new nomination process for you to preview.
Oceania Championships (summary).
- Two Athletes can be selected for each weight category to represent Australia at The Oceania Championships Guam where all travel & accommodation and fees are to be Self Funded if an athlete is nominated and attends.
- West Australian Athletes: Oceania Championships Selection Event to be held in Perth on 20th February 2022.
- All other States & Territories: Selection Event to be held in Sydney 20th February 2022.
Cadet, Junior & Senior Greco and Non Commonwealth Games Senior Freestyle Weight Categories
- Expression of Interest form to be completed (attached) and returned to Wrestling Australia PLUS the “option” to compete at selection events in Sydney & Perth for observation and assessment by HP Committee members and National Coaches.
Commonwealth Games (summary)
- Assessment of Performance at Oceania Championships in Guam April 2022.
- Assessment of performance at your Institute of Sport within your state in March 2022. (Strength & Conditioning)
- Assessment of Performance at Wrestling Camp in Canberra, A.I.S April 2022 following Oceania Championships.
- Only 6 x Athletes in total can be selected for Commonwealth Games Qualification.
This is a summary only and does not detail all conditions. The full criteria will be released next week once legal authorisation is received.